Friday, March 31, 2006

European Vacation - Part Deux

The weather in Paris was not sunny - in fact it rained for the majority of our stay. But it really just added to the magic of the city. It really is amazing seeing sights in person that you have only read about in books or seen on TV and in the movies, and that is pretty much what my entire trip to Paris was - amazing sights.

Our first morning in the City of Lights, Bridget and I found a nearby boulangerie where we successfully managed to order two croissant without incident. I really wanted a cup of coffee to go with it, but apparently there is no such thing as a "cup of coffee to go" in Paris. Its all about the cafe experience, sitting and absorbing etc. So I had to go without.

We decided to begin the day at Notre Dame. We purchased our Carnet (pack of 10 Metro tickets) and set out on the 4 line to Cite. This cathedral really is quite beautiful. The stained glass windows were extraordinary despite the gray skies. We even climbed to the top to see the views and the gargoyles up close. Claustrophobia almost became an issue since the entrances up and down the stairwells are one in the same. But it was definitely worth the view in my opinion, and the sore legs from climbing the stairs. :)

After Notre Dame, Bridget and I headed towards the Louvre. On the way we found a boulangerie selling baguettes. Since my return, people have asked me what my best meal in Paris was. The baguette that I bought in this boulangerie was by far the best thing I ate there. I never knew ham, cheese, butter, a freshly baked bread, and little lettuce could taste so good. I dunno if I was just so hungry, or if it was that good, but regardless it was Heaven.

When we arrived at the Lourve, the rain was just tapering off, and a little blue sky managed to peak out. I am pretty proud of the picture I got (pictures to come, I promise) that captures the moment. This is a museum I have always dreamed of visiting, and the setting as we arrived really matched the moment. I couldn't believe how big the museum was! I don't think I ever realized how massive it was. We must have spent 5 hours in that museum, and didn't see everything... Even though it felt like we did. And as cheesy as it sounds I honestly got goosebumps when I saw the Mona Lisa. :)

Later on, Bridget and I dragged ourselves to a restaurant in the 5th arrondissment that was mentioned in Frommer's Guide Book that ended up being really good! Some locals and a lot of ex-pats made the atmosphere feel like we fit in, yet that we were definitely in Paris. The staff was also very jovial and were very nice and helpful to us. The fois gras and the wine was fantastic, not to mention the apple tart we had for dessert. With the little energy we had left, we dragged ourselves back to the hotel and fell asleep. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home